Friday, November 9, 2007

The secret to good leftovers....

So it was another busy night at the Hill house last night. First we had a Parent Teacher Conference to go to for Libby. She is doing excellent as far as her academics. We are told she is reading at a 7th grade level, excelling in Math, understanding the concepts learned in Science and Social Studies, HOWEVER my daughter has become a vandal. WHAT!?!?! The teacher asked me if Libby mentioned having to stay in at recess last week and scrub her desk. I, nervously, said that she hadn't mentioned this to me. Apparently Libby and another boy decided to write on the sides of their desks. So the wise teacher made her (and the other boy) stay in at recess and scrub their desks with paper towel and hand soap while she explained to them the importance of respecting property. She went on to tell us you really have to work at it to get it off using this method but it is a good learning process. She also mentioned she could have just had the janitor come in and spray his magic cleaner on it and it would have wiped right off but she didn't want to let the kids off the hook that easily. Too funny! I like this teacher!




Next on the agenda... 20% off wool yarn at Country Needle Works from 6pm-9pm (or so the ad led us to believe, in actuality the sale was all day the "open house" was from 6-9 wish I had known that I would have gone earlier). So off the Hill women go to buy us some yarn. We have had a couple comments from people "who can't knit" mention they would love a purse like this that I thought, okay Brenda suggested, it would be a good way to raise money for the mission trip to Haiti this summer if I made up some purses to sell. Anna wants to make some more scarfs. She could make scarfs all day long.


What does this have to do with leftovers? Hang in there I will get to it....


We rush back home, drop off Kaylyn and Libby, pick up Mark and head to church for a meeting. Anna came with us to watch some younger kids of other parents that were attending the meeting or as Brandon requested, "just make sure they aren't throwing popcorn all over the floor". We left Zack in charge of the home front.


So what do you do for supper on a super crazy night like this? Well I usually tackle this issue by making something that warms back up easily so everyone can eat at different times that best work for them. Last nights meal was "Quick-Fix Beef Burrito Skillet" (doubled of course for our big family) which Mark said the last time I made it, "You can make this whenever you want". Meaning, I just LOVE this stuff. So you can imagine his delight when he got home. So while the women were out yarn shopping he was quickly eating so he would be ready to go when I got back home. I should mention that by now the kids and I have already eaten. I would like to believe that in the haste of the evening he didn't have the chance to put the leftovers away (in actuality he was probably thinking "I am eating the rest of that when I get back home so why bother getting another container dirty" and in case you are wondering, yes I think that's gross but he hasn't died yet from doing it). So we get back home around 9pm and while I am hurrying kids to bed he enjoys the leftovers.... are you ready? This is the whole reason for the post. After taking the last yummy bite he notices that someone (I am guessing Libby from the handwriting) left a very interesting message under my agenda for the evening...
For anyone who can't make out what our precious daughter wrote it says, "Don't eat Gunner Slobber!" Apparently, under Zack's not so watchful eye, Libby caught the hound dog helping himself to the yummy leftovers and instead of throwing it away she chose to leave a warning sign. You think Mark will still be making a habit of eating food that has been left out on the counter? Probably, but I am hoping he will be looking for a warning sign first next time.
Smiles!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT is too funny! Brandon does the same thing. Too bad we don't have a dog to make him more cautious.
DMS

Cherdecor said...

This post is too funny! I laughed the whole way through. Kids and dogs, whatcha gonna do?

Brenda said...

That is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Too Funny!!! Hey I may be interested in one of those purses, let me know the cost when you get them done! I like that teachers thoughts too! That's the only way the kids will learn somethings.

Melissa said...

That is hilarious!!!! I agree with Mark's logic though, why bother dirtying another dish if you're just going to eat it later!!! :)

Melissa said...

Oh yeah, I don't know if you need any more fabric, but Field's in Standale is having a huge sale. Hopefully if you go back, everyone will be in a better mood!!! :)

Diane said...

EEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.My.Word! Tooooo funny! Well, if it had happened to me, I wouldn't think it was funny, but since it didn't, I can chuckle over what his face must have looked like!

Hugs!
Kat

Mari said...

That is so funny - poor Mark. The recipe looks great - I think Bob would like it too, so I'll be trying it. The purses are a good idea for a fundraiser.

Cheri said...

That is so so funny!!!
Love the purse as a fundraiser idea- I think my Arianna would love one!

Anonymous said...

Too funny!!
I needed the laugh and distraction. :) Thanks for sharing with us all. LOVED it.

Anonymous said...

That's hillarious! I might have to snag that recipe for one of my menu plan Mondays :)

Anonymous said...

That picture of Libby is so cute... the perfect pitiful face. She must have practised long and hard - she has definitely mastered it! :)

Cheryl said...

That is so funny. The purse thing is a good idea for raising money. Loved your post. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

That is the best prank ever!! I figure Libby set that whole thing into action.She's probably still laughing! I am! See-ya soon,Patty