Marie has done a great job of motivating us to get healthy. One thing that she does that I really enjoy is she will introduce us to something new and then re-visit it a couple of weeks later. I like this because you get to see how much stronger you are getting.
One of these is planks. Do you know what a plank is? It is like a push-up but you are on your elbows and you just hold the position. It sounds easy. Try it. It is really hard! It is excellent for building your core. When we started the class most of the women, me included, struggled holding the plank for even 15 secs.
As I started getting stronger I seen something about "plank wars" on Twitter. You challenge people to see who can hold a plank longer. Here is a picture from June of us having a plank war on the deck.
At that time I still had to really work to hold it for a minute. Imagine my surprise when I timed myself the other day and made it to...
"As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy." -James 5:11
5 comments:
I've heard that planks are one of the absolute best ab moves you can do. We do a ton of them in a core class I take. Another good one is a "pike"...have you done that one?
You are such an inspiration...running, getting fit, eating healthy. You look amazing :)
Marie has been a blessing and so have you! Do you know how many women you've inspired? And your AA groups keep us accountable. Thanks!
I'm going to have to try a plank one of these days - they scare me! However, I can tell I'm really improving at other things.
That's great Jennifer! I can hold one for about 30 seconds. I think I may be doing it wrong though. I was holding myself up by my hands, not down to the elbows. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it on the elbows, and she what happens!
girl you are CRAZY!! I am lucky (when i am actually in shape) to hold that dang thing 30 seconds and that's usually if i promise myself a treat!!
TWO MINUTES??! That's incredible!! But it is amazing how hard something seems the first time, but with a bit of practice, we don't even think about it anymore! (well, it would take me a while to get to that point with the PLANK, but you know what I mean!!)
Post a Comment