Yesterday I got that call that we all hate to get but it is part of life. "Grandpa isn't doing well." I knew he had aged a lot between Thanksgiving and Christmas but I still wasn't ready for that call. January 1st I posted about him celebrating his 91st birthday. He was in the hospital for his birthday but he was able to come home on Sunday. Yesterday he gave us quite a scare. The doctor wasn't able to get any response from him. My Aunt is wintering in Texas and she was told she should come home. She will be here at 3pm today.
I went and sat with Grandpa last night and to everyone's surprise he was awake, sitting up, and being his spunky self (as spunky as you can be at 91 that is, wink). He enjoys giving people a hard time, especially my Dad. When my Dad came in the room to give him his hearing aids he handed him the first one and said, "I thought you might like to have these in while people are here. This one is for your right ear". After Grandpa had it in Dad handed him the next one and said, "this is the one for your left ear". I chuckled a little when I seen Grandpa furrow his brow at him with a look of "really? I thought it was a second one for my right ear". LOL! Then my Dad (because he is just like his father) seen the scowl and said, "and this one is for your middle ear" and pretended to hand him a third one. Since Grandpa hadn't put in the second one yet he looked at my Dad and proceeded to put the left hearing aid in his nose!!! We were all laughing then!
I love my Grandpa so much and I am so blessed to know that he loves me just as much. I will be very sad to see Grandpa leave this world but I am holding onto the image of God with his arms spread waiting to greet my Grandfather with a huge hug and whisper into his ear "well done good and faithful servant, well done."
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love his sense of humor!
Praying for you and your whole family during this difficult time.
I can tell I would love him! I'm praying for you and your family.
Post a Comment