Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A cry for help.

I need some help!

I have wanted to have a garden since the day we moved into this house 10+ years ago. I think my hubby would like to have one also, however, it doesn't seem to be "on the front burner" when it comes to things to get done for him. I am clueless as to how to get started. I need someone who lives in the same Zone as me here in West Michigan to walk me through the steps of when and what I need to do in order to have a garden this year.

The biggest problem seems to be getting the ground "tilled up" (is that even the correct terminology). I tried to do it by hand one year. What a joke! The ground is WAY too hard for that.

Is anyone out there up for the challenge?

I had considered making a "Square Foot Garden" like this one.

(Click on the picture to get the instructions.)
I still just may for my first year. This one could be put right on my deck for easy access. I do worry though about this one drying out quickly. That is what the water bottles are for, isn't that ingenious?

So anyone wanting to put together a step-by-step guide, with dates, in their free time feel free to send it my way.
Smiles!

17 comments:

Rebekah said...

Sorry I have no advice. Chuck is the one that puts out the garden. I just go out and pick the ripe ones

Monkey Giggles said...

gardening is a lot like raising kids. If they have good soil (home), fertilizer (God's word), water
(salvation) and lots of sunshine (love) they will bear fruit.

Melissa said...

Jen, talk to my dad. Seriously, he's totally into the gardening stuff, and would be able to tell you everything you need to know. It helps if you use a tiller to get the ground ready. We always borrow someone from churchs', but I can't remember whose...

Jenni S. said...

I feel your pain, but as a self-confessed "black-thumb" it's probably best that I don't give advice.

Diane said...

You and Mike should get a coffee at Beans and discuss garden plans. He's trying to decide what to put in this year. He always 'tills our garden at least once or twice in the Spring. He's done our garden for most of the last 11 years since we moved here and does very well with it.

Mari said...

Talk to Cheri's Mark. We don't have a garden anymore, so we gave them our tiller. It's the one the Maynards borrow too. If you just till a small plot, you can start with a few favorites!

SweetAnnee said...

Jennifer..you need a MACHINE ..lol
to do that..maybe rent one
a rototiller??

I can't have any veggies here
cuz the racoons climb EVERYWHERE to get them..
they pull the tomato plants up by the roots.
HELP
deena

Anonymous said...

Let's see...I coach your son...I coach your daughter...I could add you to the list ;)

Seriously we have grown just about everything (not all varieties), over the last four years. Corn, Tomatos, beans, Peas, Carrots, Squash, Peppers, Lettuce, Zuccini, Cucumber, melon, raspberries, strawberries, broccoli, Cauliflower, Potatos, Cabbage, and probably several things I am forgetting...oh yeah, Onions, and radishes...I think that's almost all.
We own a roto-tiller. As long as it still runs, we could hook you up. It should be fine though.

Let me know when you want to get together.

Aunt Angie said...

Jennifer! I can tell you exactly who to talk to ...she is from Idaho---would that be in the same climate zone?? That--I don't know zones...but she is minister's wife---named Robin--go on my side bar---check out Robinznest---she posts things about her gardening among her crafting and devotions a lot! She is very sweet and would be thrilled to give you some pointers!
Tomorrow--I will try and e-mail you a picture of my mother's garden. She has the "square foot" garden. All marked off---her garlic, collards, cabbage, broccoli, potatoes, onions, peppers are all looking good!
Hey also-don't forget the "give-away"---find the hidden hints!

Shelly said...

Sounds like you have enough offers for the tiller part. You definately have to do that a couple times and then go to countryside and get some plants already started and plant them. Plus you can get seeds at our local hardware store. Have to make sure make enough distance inbetween certain plants that spread on the ground, like zuchini and cucumbers-they spread like crazy! Then have in by Memorial day weekend is the time most people do theirs. Then just make suer you hoe it to keep weeds out and water of course. LOL

Shelly said...

Maybe you could get a few of us ladies over to help you plant.

Shelly said...

The garden boxes are limited. We had one at a foster care home I worked at. It was nice for the residents who wanted to water because they did not have to bend down it was at waist level. So, in that way it was nice.

Sarah said...

Jennifer,

If you put stuff (something that is ok to use in a vegetable garden) down to kill the grass NOW, tilling it in the spring is even easier. We usually till in some peat moss (we have clay), manure & some top soil. You can rent a rototiller from Home Depot for a couple $'s.

We always plant our garden Memorial weekend. I usually buy my tomato, pepper, cabbage & broccoli as small plants but plant my beans by seed. I buy my stuff from Motmans on Lake Michigan Drive. They are always so helpful.

You probably will want a small fence around to keep the bunnies / children / dog's out.

Tonja said...

I'm officially feeling bad now. First you do all that house cleaning and now your talkng gardening! You go girl!

I used to do a little gardening, but the pot broke and I never got another one! :)

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

I have some raised beds. My hubby built them for me a few years ago. I can't wait to plant veggies, it is still too early here. I just planted flowers and the temperature dropped to the 40's. Ok, ok I know that is'not cold to YOU, but it is to my teeny weeny flowers ;O)

Please tell me how those bottles work on the beds? Are there holes poked inside them?

I have a drip system for my beds.

Blessings! Joanne

Anonymous said...

Me too! Me too!

Be sure to post and let us follow your adventure on this one!

I kill anything plant related-----not really sure why or how. :)

Khrista said...

The square foot garden looks like fun. Not sure what would grow up here in Alaska. Do let us know what you decide to do!