Friday, April 18, 2008

Strange things are happening....

My husband and I woke up to a horrible stench around 5am this morning. Skunk! We had the windows open because It was so warm last night. The smell was horrible. We shut the windows but it kinda felt like we just trapped ourselves in the horrible stench.

Then around 5:40am I woke back up thinking my husband was running in his sleep again because our bed was shaking. Nope he was awake also and the bathroom mirror was shaking. What on earth, is it that windy outside? Nope no wind so what was that? My husband said he thought we just had an earthquake. Me being the forever naysayer said not in Michigan! Our alarm goes off at 6am and the radio comes on. You aren't going to believe it... They were reporting an earthquake in Illinois and there was rumors of it being felt as far Rockford and Grand Rapids. I am here to tell you it isn't a rumor we felt it! Crazy!

What else is today going to bring?
Smiles!

21 comments:

Diane said...

Mike got up at 5:30 this morning - I wonder if he felt anything. I didn't get up until 6:00 but I don't remember anything like that happening. I'll have to ask Mike about that.

Monkey Giggles said...

Sue over at Praise and Coffee said she felt it to.

Nothing happened on this side. (at least I don't think)

Anonymous said...

I felt it too. I too was awakened early so I was not sleeping at the time of the tremors which I'm sure is why I felt it.CRAZY!!See-ya soon,Patty

Praise and Coffee said...

When I realized what it was, it scared me! I was just about to grab Lauren out of bed when it seemed to stop. She did wake up about 10 minutes later.

I thought I was crazy, but I knew that I heard the drawer hinges rattle and I felt it under my feet when I got out of bed.

I sure would not want to live where there are frequent earthquakes!

Mari said...

I slept right through it! I remember one about 20 years ago that I felt - weird huh?

Jenni S. said...

Wow - I can't believe you all felt that! That was one crazy night for you!

Terri said...

I didn't feel it because I was still sleeping but I'm wondering if Dave did. It's kind of cool.

Cherdecor said...

I was listening to John DeBrine yesterday and he was talking about earthquakes in divers places in the latter days. I was wondering where they might happen. We always expect them around the ring of fire. I remembered that the biggest fault in the world runs down Illinois, Indiana, and south. Now today I hear about this 5.2 quake near West Salem, Ill. I wonder if there will be more even after the after shocks? Remember, run to your doorway. Scary!

Melissa said...

Wierd! I guess I slept right through it, because I don't remember it.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a semi-truck passing our house! lol!! Really, until I read your post, it didn't occur to me that it was the earthquake I heard about this a.m.
I,too, woke up to the skunk stench. We are like what? 2-3 miles away from you? They really are stinky little buggers arn't they?!
~Debi

Anonymous said...

What a weird day! Are you laughing? :)

This is double weird - I just came from Megan's blog where she, too, wrote about STINK. Ha!

I wanted to say a big thank-you for your sweet comments on the baby post - we all feel so blessed beyond belief, and to share that joy with others has been a blessing in itself.

It's a gorgeous day, and we're still reveling in the good gifts we've been given. I hope you also have a wonderful weekend, Jen -

Thanks so much for stopping by - I have been thinking about you for some reason but this week was a crazy one and never did make it over. I was glad to see you pop up in my comment section, anyway.

Blessings,
Jen

A Stone Gatherer said...

Chalk it up for another one that did not feel it! I was at at 5:00 too! I think I was too absorb in myself and my pity party to notice anthing else! Better Now!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Chalk it up for another one that did not feel it! I was at at 5:00 too! I think I was too absorb in myself and my pity party to notice anthing else! Better Now!

Cheri said...

I felt it too. Mark had left for work already and Halle had just crawled in bed with me. The dresser pulls started rattling and I told Halle to quit playing with them. I'm not she said! I got up and one of my drawers had even opened up. Very wierd!!

Melissa in Mel's World said...

YIKES!!! I heard about it on CNN this morning! How completely freaky is that? Hope the rest of your day has been better.

Melissa

Tonja said...

Well I actually heard about it as I was getting dressed this morning.
Must have scared the skunk worse than you, huh? Or maybe he was trying to warn you that something 'strange was in the air'.

Glad to hear Zack did so well. It is such a shame the shadyness of some, filters down all the way to the kids. How proud to be able to stand and hold your head high and say, "Not my boy!" That has to drive his self esteem way on up there. He deservs to be very proud of himself.

Rebekah said...

there were reports of an after shock around 11:30. I was awake and outside this time, but still didn't feel anything

Rhonda said...

What a night you had! You're going to need a good sleep tonight.

We didn't have anything in eastern Ontario. But, it I've been reading a lot of posts about it. Sounds like it covered a large area.

(The one thing I really don't like about spring, is all of the 'critters' waking up.)

Rhonda

Nise' said...

Slept right through it~ My husband said he did not notice anything unusual.

happyhome said...

What a way to start your day. They say animals can sense an earthquake before it happens. Must have scared the stink right out of the poor fellow!

Hope the rest of your day was a bit more low key.

Aunt Angie said...

I heard it on the news as I was getting ready for work! I tried to think of everyone I knew that lived in the areas affected. WOW! I am glad you are all okay.
As IT says..."in the last days...."